Shane and his passionate crew will ensure you experience the magic of catching your dinner – they just can’t guarantee the species, as these waters abound with Blue Cod, Trumpeter, and Gurnard to name a few.
Coming from a long line of Ngāi Tahu fisherman, Shane and his family will share stories, insight, and customary practices handed down for generations. Mana means status, honour, or prestige and is a fitting name for the well-equipped 47 ft vessel that has been exploring these waters for 25 years.
Be mesmerised as you watch your catch being filleted and prepared for easy cooking – with tips on the best way to cook it for maximum flavour!
Included in your tour:
- Morning or afternoon tea
- Light lunch on Foveaux Strait
- All fishing equipment and fishing coaching from beginner to advanced
- Your fish filleted and prepared for you to take home and cook (optional)
- Cultural knowledge and insight
Need to know!
- Wear warm clothing, suitable for a range of weather conditions on the open ocean.
- Take precautionary action if you suffer from sea-sickness.
- Tour commentary is in English.
- Tour is not suitable for those with mobility problems or unaccompanied children under 12 years of age.
- Tours are perfect for families and small groups; individual bookings are also available.
- We recommend contacting us at least two weeks prior to avoid missing out on your preferred date and time.
- Tours can be arranged all year round and we offer flexible departure times to fit in with your travel plans.
- Tours are subject to cancellation if sea and weather conditions put your safety at risk.
- Minimum numbers apply.
- Prices are in New Zealand dollars and include all taxes.
Meet your guides
Shane and Miriona Bryan purchased Mana Charters in 2017 to combine more than 20 years of commercial fishing experience with their ancestral stories and provide guided fishing tours around New Zealand’s southernmost waters.
Growing up in the pearl of the south, Shane and Miriona were high school sweethearts. Shane worked as a fisherman from the age of 15 and has an enviable wealth of nautical experience. Together they enjoy meeting new people and sharing what’s special about the town they call home.
“We love the freedom that comes from being out on the water and sharing the joy that people experience when they catch their first fish. The climate here creates an excellent fishing environment – we call it Bluff-topia, it’s like a paradise!”