Come and experience life on our 450 hectare sheep and beef farm.
We’ll take you on a tour of the farm aboard our 6-seater Kawasaki Mule motorbike. It’s the perfect vehicle to explore all reaches of our beautiful property as we go about our daily farm jobs. You will see sheep dogs working and get to meet and hand feed a variety of animals.
Learn about farming: We share with you how we work and care for the land and animals at Tawanui Farm.
It’s great for kids and adults alike, this farm tour is a perfect hands-on opportunity to experience quintessential rural New Zealand.
Included in your tour
- Locally sourced food for our riverside BBQ lunch
Need to know!
- Aged 2+
- Wear comfortable clothing and shoes suitable for walking
- This outdoor experience takes place in most weather conditions – the warmth of your host will make up for inclement weather but please come prepared for the forecasted conditions on the day – raincoats or umbrellas may be required.
- Our specialist guides provide tour commentary in English only
- We regret that this tour is not suitable for travelers requiring wheelchair access
We are not currently taking bookings due to COVID-19.
Please feel free to email us with any enquiries at firstname.lastname@example.org
Meet your guides
Your hosts at River Valley Farm are Mike, Elspeth and Tim Loughnan - and a nicer bunch of people you couldn't hope to meet.
The Loughnan family are the fifth generation to farm and live in the Blythe Valley. Tawanui Farm is situated towards the mouth of the Hurunui River and overlooks its beautiful waters
Mike and eldest son Tim share the responsibilities of running the 450ha sheep and beef farm along with its tourism ventures, Energy Jet and Tawanui Farm Glamping and farm tours. Elspeth teaches at the local Cheviot Area School. Tim’s other siblings Virginia and Hugh are both involved in Environmental Consultancy in Christchurch
The neighbouring Hurunui River has been a huge part of their lives, mainly on a recreational level. Showing people their part of the country is huge passion for the family. Combining the novelty of glamping with the thrill of jet boating and farm tours has given them a great platform for introducing their beautiful corner of the world to visitors - both Kiwi and international.